- How can I be sure that Buttonwood provides unbiased advice?
- Buttonwood is not owned by or have any ownership interest in it by any investment firm, bank or insurance company and thus is totally free to select the investment or insurance product that is appropriate for our clients. Neither do we receive any special compensation by recommending one company over the other.
- Are Buttonwood’s financial planners all CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals?
- Yes. In order to serve our clients our planners must have achieved the prestigious CFP® designation. They also have as a minimum a Bachelor’s Degree.
- Will I ever make payments directly to Buttonwood or advisors of Buttonwood?
- All payments or transfer of assets for investments or insurances will be addressed directly to the originator. Financial planning service payments will be addressed to Buttonwood Financial Inc. and never to the advisor directly.
- How does Buttonwood insure clients data is handled in a secure manner?
- First, all conversations between our clients and Buttonwood’s CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ professionals are confidential. Second, all client data is encrypted, password protected and backed-up off-site. Accounts and passwords are exclusive to individual clients and are controlled by only the account holder. Third, all sensitive correspondence between clients and Buttonwood is also encrypted and password protected.
- How do you know if you could benefit from the services of Buttonwood?
- You may not have the expertise, the time or the desire to actively plan and manage certain financial aspects of your life. You may want help getting started. You may benefit from an objective, third-party perspective on hat are often emotional, difficult decisions. And in today’s hectic world, it can be beneficial to have a financial planning specialist help to make sure you stay focused and follow through with your financial plans.
- I have the time and knowledge to do my own financial planning and my situation is not too complicated so why should I work with a CFP® from Buttonwood?
- You have little or no experience with finances
- You do not have the inclination to do it
- You want an objective, outside perspective
- You have a complex financial situation
- You do not have the time – this is usually the biggest obstacle for “do-it-yourselfers”
Procrastination is the greatest enemy of financial independence, and using a CFP® should keep you on track. There are some other advantages to using a CFP®. Some aspects of financial planning may be too complex for most eople, such as calculating how long your retirement capital will last or maximizing tax strategies. A good CFP® will work with other professionals, such as accountants and estate planners, to coordinate their efforts with your overall financial needs.
You may be able to do a lot on your own. However, there are some situations where you may find you need a CFP®, such as:
- What are the benefits of using a CFP® from Buttonwood?
- At Buttonwood we help you set realistic financial and personal goals.Assess your current financial health by examining your assets, liabilities, income, insurance, taxes, investments and estate plan.Develop a realistic, comprehensive plan to meet your financial goals by addressing financial weaknesses and building on financial strengths.Put your plan into action and monitor its progress.Stay on track to meet changing goals, personal circumstances, stages of your life, products, markets and tax laws.
- What is the cost, or investment, for me in hiring a CFP® from Buttonwood?
- Most likely less than you pay for you mobile phone or cable TV.
- No really, what is the cost, or investment, to me in hiring a CFP® from Buttonwood?
- At Buttonwood we have a set fee that applies to all clients for our basic financial planning services. If a client has a more complex situation, an additional fee could apply; however, this would be agreed upon and ased on a schedule of complexity so that clients with the same complexity pay the same for our services.
- I know somebody that is interested in or could benefit from Buttonwood’s services. How can they take advantage and hire an independent CFP® from Buttonwood?
- Please have them contact your independent CFP® or e-mail their details to your CFP® or even better: phone your CFP® so they can get a thorough understanding of how to best service your referral.
- Why are the CFP® Certification Requirements Important?
- Most people think that all financial planners are “certified” but this isn’t true. Anyone can call himself or herself a “financial planner”. Only those who have fulfilled the certification and renewal requirements of FP Board can display the CFP® certification marks. When selecting a financial planner, you need to feel confident that the person you choose to help you plan for your future is competent and ethical. The CFP® certification provides that sense of security by allowing only those who meet the following requirements the right to use the CFP® certification marks (Source: CFP.net).
- What are the requirements to be a CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™?
- There are several requirements for a CFP® We refer to them as the four E’s.
CFP® professionals must develop their theoretical and practical financial planning knowledge by completing a comprehensive course of study at a college or university offering a financial planning curriculum approved by FP Board. Other options for satisfying the education component include submitting a transcript review or previous financial planning-related course work to CFP Board for review and credit, or showing the attainment of certain professional designations or academic degrees.Examination
CFP® practitioners must pass a comprehensive two-day, 10-hour CFP® Certification Examination that tests their ability to apply financial planning knowledge in an integrated format. Based on regular research of what lanners do, the exam covers the financial planning process, tax planning, client benefits and retirement planning, estate planning, investment management and insurance.Experience
CFP® professionals must have three years minimum experience in the financial planning process prior to earning the right to use the CFP® certification marks. As a result, CFP® practitioners possess financial counseling kills in addition to financial planning knowledge.Ethics
As a final step to certification, CFP® practitioners agree to abide by a strict code of professional conduct, known as CFP Board’s Code of Ethics and Professional Responsibility, that sets forth their ethical esponsibilities to the public, clients and employers. CFP Board also performs a background check during this process, and each individual must disclose any investigations or legal proceedings related to their professional or business conduct (Source: CFP.net).
- How does CFP Board’s Code of Ethics Benefit me?
- Through the Code of Ethics, CFP® practitioners agree to act fairly and diligently when providing you with financial planning advice and services, putting your interests first. The Code of Ethics states that CFP® ractitioners are to act with integrity, offering you professional services that are objective and based on your needs. They are required to provide you with information about their sources of compensation and conflicts of interest in writing (Source: CFP.net).
- What are the ongoing certification requirements?
- Once certified, CFP® practitioners are required to maintain technical competence and fulfill ethical obligations. Every two years, they must complete a minimum 30 hours of continuing education to stay current with evelopments in the financial planning profession and better serve clients. Two of these hours are spent studying or discussing CFP Board’s Code of Ethics or Practice Standards. In addition to the biennial continuing education requirement, all CFP® practitioners voluntarily disclose any public, civil, criminal or disciplinary actions that may have been taken against them during the previous two years as part of the renewal process (Source: CFP.net).